Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The best performance kit in the market



How much money do we spend to improve our bike performance? Power commanders, exaust systems, velocity stacks, ….and then? Well, we start making the bike lighter according to the common assumption that we gain 1hp per every seven pounds of eliminated weight. It’s even better if we shave unsprung weight (weight not supported by the suspension) because the common ratio is that 2 pounds of unsprung weight equals around 13 pounds of sprung weight. But at what cost? Titanium parts, magnesium wheels, ultra-light components are very expensive.
The cheapest performance kit, the only solution able to make you faster and your wallet thicker at the same time, it is body weight management. It seems that Danny Pedrosa is 40 pounds lighter than the average competitor, a tremendous advantage in terms of accelleration, corner speed, braking, gasoline consumption and tyre wear. The rider weight is so important that in the 125cc class the total weight (rider-machine) has to be above a certain minimum.
We are weekend club riders but still we would not hesitate to spend the extra dollar if we could get lower lap times at the track. My suggestion is lose those extra 20-30lbs! Two years ago I lost 35lbs accumulated since I moved to the United States in the 90s. Every year, or better every winter I had added more weight on my body even though I have always been very active. I thought that it was normal given the fact that the majority of my friends were on the same boat. I started suffering little issues like plantar fasciitis or aching knees when running, a little of acid reflex here and there, difficult digestion, high cholesterol and so forth. With the time I became frustrated so one day I decided to search on internet every type of food on my table. I easily focused a few ingredients, present in almost every packaged food, presumably responsible for my extra weight: high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, palm, kernel and hydrogenated oils, trans-fat, saturated fats and all the other foreign “things” that you can certainly not buy on the shelf of a supermarket. The elimination of these ingredients was then followed by eating only organic meat to avoid the ingestion of all the antibiotics, hormones and who knows what else these poor animals are fed with. But it is impossible to eat organic meat at the restaurant so I found myself eating less and less meat to the point I totally stopped. Conscious of the protein intake issue I start eating more fish, nuts, legumes and low fat cheese. Also, I discovered the pleasure of eating all different kind of vegetables and fruit, and in a matter of a few months I started feeling lighter, stronger and healthier.
Diets work, but only for a while because too stressful from a mental point of view. If you really want to give a couple of horse power to your old bike, improve your riding and your stamina for a more enjoyable day at the track, you need a change in your life style. In the same way we want to use the best synthetic oil and gasoline for our bike, let’s feed our bodies with the healthiest food on earth.

Buon appetito!

2 comments:

Jimmy said...

I'm lucky enough to be naturally thin. If I wanted to lose a few pounds I'd have to chop my head off or something!

Alessandro Matteucci aka Alex 555 said...

In my effort to eliminate every possible ounce of extra weight I believe that with the time I must have "consolitated" my boldness ....because it has becoming easier and easier to shave my head! (LOL)