Monday, October 30, 2006

MotoGp final round: was the World Championship lost or won?


Did anybody have fun in watching yesterday race? Personally I didn't! The MotoGp servers went down right after Valentino had crashed and so I was left with the hope to go back on line to watch one of his come back from the last position, when I learned from the news that Hayden had locked the World Championship with a third position.
Yes, I was happy for the American, for King Bayliss, for Capirossi but I felt that the final result wasn’t fair. As my friend Jimmy has mentioned, championship are assigned on total points and not pure talent, but it’s amazing how things went this past season: the Kentucky Kid’s final victory was meant to be. The blindness of the Fortuna goddess is a joke because Rossi and Capirossi went trough too many issues this past year. To point that yesterday Valentino was under pressure and that’s why he had a bad start and then low sided is not fair.

The Tavullia Champion has admitted those two mistakes because he is a great man, but everybody knows that the final result had been already assigned. Rossi’s championship was lost two races ago in Portugal with Elias winning for a few inches, the same rider that rammed the Italian out at the start of the first race of the season: and it was lost in spring with the questionable package received by Yamaha and Michelin; or lost when the poor Gibernau knocked down half field at the start of race injuring badly his teammate Capirossi, another good contender to the 2006 World Championship. Yes, it was terrible to see Hayden taken out by Pedrosa, but what to say about Colin Edwards crashing a few feet from the finish line giving the victory to Hayden on the silver plate?
I am happy for Hayden, for a young, passionate and hard working rider that has gained everybody’s respect and appreciation for his simple, fair and honest manners to relate himself to other people but I must renew my admiration for Valentino Rossi, more human and more martian than ever.

Video source

2 comments:

Jimmy said...

I can't believe how calm Rossi was after the race. I would have crossed the finish line, dropped the bike on the ground and stomped off.
MotoGP is lucky to have him.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Valentino is still the man! I don't say Hayden did not deserve the championship, but we all know Valentino lost the championship for Hayden and NOT Hayden won the championship. For me Valentino the real champion.