Friday, October 06, 2006

Come to the race track and you will realize that ...

Last weekend I spent 3 days in Pennsylvania, at the Pocono Raceway track, on Friday with the NYSB and on Saturday and Sunday with NESBA. I was very excited because it was the first exit with my new 2001 GSX-R 600.



Saturday afternoon, after the school, I worked on the suspension set up and the following day it was showdown with my friends riding with NESBA. As usual I worked as Control Rider with the Intermediate group and honestly after my recent crash I wished to wear hazard lights and a “Do not tailgate” sign along with my orange shirt. No problem, after a few laps I was totally relaxed and ready to enjoy my day. I went out in all the Expert sessions and most of the Beginner ones to set up the suspensions of my friend’s bikes: I basically rode no stop until the lunch break. After that the sky became progressively darker until the rain forced us to stop. The rain didn’t end until the following morning so we changed the type entertainment but not the fun. Over the years I became friend with so many people at the racetracks that now it seems a family reunion. When it rains E-Z Up tents and big enclosed trailers become our leaving rooms with guys sharing food and drinks and the most outgoing ones engaging in jokes, imitations, and mocking others. Robert Lombardi is one of them: forget racing, he should have his own show in Manhattan!


At the club events we normally go as group, so we travel, ride, eat and share hotel rooms together. This kind of circumstances has created a very strong bond with my friend, a sort of brotherhood. On Sunday, one of my buddies high sided: fortunately he didn’t suffer any injury but the bike paid the toll. Our sport it’s very expensive however not so much when you are part of a “team”. Monday morning my friends worked hours on that bike: it was stripped, washed, broken parts fixed or replaced while the owner went to work with his aching body. In the afternoon when he got back home he couldn’t believe that his “baby” was already in promising shape for the next event. “ Guys,how much do I own you for ….?” The answer was “do not worry about … good friends always help each other!”

For more picture of this event visit Racedayphoto

No comments: