Friday, October 12, 2007

Norick Abe: another victim of the U-Turn killer


How many riders have lost their lives because of a vehicle making the ominous U-Turn? I know too many but nobody as famous as Norick Abe. Yes, it’s another champion that lives us in a tragic and unexpected way, far from the circuits where he used to challenge destiny and physics of the fields along with his competitors. He died in the far-west of today’s city roads where driving is everything else except a technical discipline. The truck driver who took away Abe's life claimed that he made the U-turn after realizing that he was going in the wrong direction … Another time it was the view of a parking spot available on the other side of the avenue or because the driver wanted to drop the kids in front the school, or because the cub driver was looking for the building with even #s, those on the other side of the street. How many explanation or justifications have we heard over the years? I drive cars, ride motorcycles and road bicycles and you cannot imagine how many U-Turns I count every day in Brooklyn, but in all these year I have never seen a cop to give a ticket for someone making a U-Turn. Here in NYC it’s common if not well accepted: even the old and big American cars had incredible power steering, something that it allowed everybody to make a U-Turn spinning a finger against one of the bars of the steering wheel. Incredibly no one legislator in this country has proposed a tougher stance again the ominous maneuver, but then I am not surprised because with the exception of Arnold Schwarzenegger who was caught riding an Harley Davidson (and crashing without driver license), nobody else rides motorcycles when they can seat in their huge and black SUV s.
I know … I am raging while now it’s time to pray.

Rest In Peace Abe


Picture source

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very sorry to hear about that. Now the motorcycle accidents become more and more, especially near the U-Turn. Sometimes we call U-Turn the motorcyclists killer. I meet many friends on a site called bikerkiss. They think so too. We usually talk about how to keep security near the U-Turn. If u have some good opinions, welcome to join us.

Jimmy said...

I think it really comes down to awareness, or the lack of it.
In the UK, bikers use the word "smidsy" which stands for "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You". It's what drivers always say when they pull out into the path of a biker.
If people had a clue what was going on around them, they wouldn't do idiotic things that cost other people their lives.

johng said...

This really hits a nerve with me! Where I live, central New York State, we are blessed with some of the best roads for riding imaginable. I can literally roll out of my driveway and I am on one of the best and most popular ridings roads around. However, the incredibly low skill level of car and Stupid Useless Vehicle drivers is appalling! One distracted soccer mom in an ill handling, poorly suspended, under braked, top heavy 5000 pound behemouth with vague steering is more dangerous at 30mph than a gaggle of competent motorbike riders at 130!! Yet, as long as the distracted soccer mom(or dad) stays near the speed limit, they are considered 'safe drivers' and a motorcycle ridden quickly is considered a threat to humanity! I could write a whole dissertation on this but I think you understand my feelings!
Rest in Peace, Norick.