Thursday, July 26, 2007

US Red Bull GP: another victory for the Aussie Red Missile


Another victory for Casey Stoner, another step to lock the 2007 MotoGp World Championship before the end of the season.
It’s Thursday and I have just finished watching the race. Over the weekend I was away and so I have learned the results by phone. Normally I would watch the race as soon as I come home, staying up late at night or by getting up early in the morning and sipping a couple of cups of Italian espresso in front of the pc. Well this time it didn’t happen. With Hayden, Hopkins and Capirossi out of the race and Rossi and Pedrosa getting 30 to 35 sec by Stoner, I knew that I had not missed such a great show. Casey “stormed’ again the race by conquering the lead and cruising his way to the checker flag. Behind him Vermeulen proved that he is able to finish in the top three positions even in dry conditions, as Jimmy had already speculated in our MotoGp Poll. Melandri got a third position, an impressive result in consideration that he rode with an ankle dislocated in a scary high-speed crash caused by Guintoli during the QP.
A podium with three different bikes on the same Bridgestone tires … Yes, even Sunday, the outcome of the race was determined by the tires. With the exception of Rossi, who finished 4th at almost 31’ from Stoner, every other Michelin rider finished the race in a worse position versus what he had done in qualification. Pedrosa started in second position with a gap of .209 but in the race finished the race with 35’ from the winner! Edwards started in 8th position, conquered a 5th position that he maintained until he fell backwards in 11th position. Edwards had high expectations for this race and he knows the track like his pockets but there was nothing he could do to solve the problem: he and his team had changed everything they could to offset the lack of grip going into the race but, evidently, with no success.
By bringing up the tire topic I am not aiming to diminish Stoner’s dominance: there are other 3 Ducati riders and no one of them is even close to his performance. The red Italian bike has been shining only for the Aussie rider’s skills: his ability to open the throttle while still edging the tires, his consistence from race to race and the self-confidence have made the difference. At this point only bad luck or …the Bridgestone/Michelin saga could subvert his leadership.
Two days ago during an interview with the Italian media, Rossi bluntly claimed the now the most important variable in a MotoGp race is …tires . In Laguna he took 30 second from Stoner while in Germany it was Casey battling for the 5th position well behind the winner. Also, he said that fans want to see riders or teams winning and not tire brands.
His comments have been highly criticized because he didn’t bring up the issue when he was winning championships with Michelin tires supposedly built and delivered two hours before the race while Ducati was struggling with Bridgestone. That’s true but at the same time I cannot forget the breathtaking battles with Biaggi, Gibernau, Capirossi, Barros and others. Today the combination of electronics and tires creates a situation where races are finished with the group of participants all stretched out over the field. No more adrenaline in the last few laps with tires smoking on brakes and throttle. Today MotoGp top riders lean vertiginously their bikes and whack-open the accelerator while edging their … tires: if these are not in the money they will be lucky if able to finish the race in the first 10 places.
Our friend and PMP member Almos took a coast to coast trip to California to watch the race: he has sent me some pictures that I am posting but I am sure that I will add more material once he is back in Brooklyn.

Main Picture: Source

10 comments:

Jimmy said...

Some of those pictures are really good. I never object to seeing a picture of Mrs Stoner.

Alessandro Matteucci aka Alex 555 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alessandro Matteucci aka Alex 555 said...

Talking about her I have just learned that she had approached him in Philip Island and got him to sign an autograph on her belly, something that he must have enjoyed because ...
Btwy, now Casey and Adriana live in Monaco close to Bayliss's house with whom he rides the bicycle. I do not know if it's because of Adriana or Troy or someone else, but Casey must have discovered the MotoGp elixir, a magic potion that made him untouchable

Alessandro Matteucci aka Alex 555 said...

We talk about Stoner's wife while in Italy media and paparazzi are trying to figure out what he is going on between Arianna Matteuzzi (with two "z" and not "c" as in my last name) and Valentino. Supposedly there is a third name involved, Elisabetta Canalis. I am not really into gossips, so will not elaborate further about it.

Jimmy said...

Well, if Rossi starts bringing his lady friends to the races then I might start showing an interest. I'd rather the TV directors showed the Ducati garage with Mrs Stoner and Mrs Capirossi than the Yamaha garage with Uccio!

Alessandro Matteucci aka Alex 555 said...

this is recent article about Valentino and his women

Anonymous said...

not1scar aka Todd Cuso --
After the wonderful day teaching at Pocono Monday the 23rd I left on a red-eye flight to L.A. -- My wife and I both had business in town. My meeting was lucky enough to be done poolside at the Mondrian Hotel where we were staying. Between the perfect weather (after the Mon. rain) and the "beautiful xxx scenery" all was good. Had noticed directly across the pool from me not 12yrds away the most incredible dark haired, tanned, toned, tattooed italian speaking woman. Not long after a thin curly haired guy joins her and her girlfriend. Holy Shit! Is that Valentino? Raised my shades and YES it was! I am never one to go oooooh a star but I felt I had to say something. After another hour of lounging I packed up and headed around. I stopped and introduced myself "Valentino? Hey I'm Todd Cuso -- I roadrace and instruct on the east coast, NOT even close to your level; I know, but wanted you to know the great impression I have of you. -- A class act all around." We shook hands and he thanked me for my words. We spoke for about 15mins about the Laguna track surface, tires, his pinky was bandaged from the practice crash, his celebrity (nobody there knew who he was), living in England -- just a very easy chill moment. A quick take care and good luck and I was off. I left with an even greater admiration for his down to earth demeanor and friendliness. What a fantastic surprise that afternoon was. BTW the girl he was with was Elisabetta Canalis (insane!)

Anonymous said...

Todd......I'm sooooooooooooo jealous! I want your life =)
xo
Krys

Alessandro Matteucci aka Alex 555 said...

Krys, what would would you do if it happens to you? Because ...you never know ...(LOL)

Anonymous said...

This is the slide show of my coast to coast trip.
Almos